Thursday, November 18, 2010

Weird sleep week!

This week certainly has been a doosey! I worked the night shift on Monday on short notice, which was fine because I woke up late anyhow, but it messed with my sleeping pattern for the whole week! I tried to sleep yesterday but I woke up a few times due to distractions. I went to bed last night at midnight, woke up at 3:00 and called it good. I have been sleeping a little more than usual so I figured I was even.

This morning I drank a light protein shake then went to work out. That felt great. I focused on weights and core work rather than cardio this time, but I was definitely working my heart muscle! I got one of those yoga mats and did core exercises in the ladies' area (because I don't want to be seen by the general overachieving 5:15 am gym crowd). I did strengthening work on my lower back too. Oh, I also used kettle weights. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of them or seen them, but they look like a tea kettle, but they are heavy. I did lunges with them. Whew!

This week I've had the most peculiar problem: I have not been able to eat my daily points quota. Sounds like a great thing, that I'm eating less, but everyone tells me that I need to eat all my points each day if I want to lose the weight in a healthy way. Believe me I'm trying to eat all my points, but the whole unexpected night shift and resulting sleeping pattern has thrown me off. Yesterday I had 19 of my 36 points, and Tuesday I had 21. There was a day a week or two ago that I completely skipped because of switching from nights back to days. It sounds bad, but I'm not starving myself or anything. I feel satisfied with my small meals and then I get so tired at the end of the day that I feel it's not worth the effort to cook something.

I met with a counselor on Monday. I like her. She advised me to start taking vitamin D and take fish oil. Gross right? I hated the last time I took it because I feel like I smelled like fish. This time I have a different brand and I think it's better. No fishy skin smell! Haha! (I think I have a good sense of smell- when I take certain other medicines I notice that my skin smells different. Pretty weird, right?) I'm meeting with the counselor again next week, and in the meantime I'm supposed to track when I take the vitamins and how my mood is, along with adding more protein into my diet. That's why I started drinking protein shakes. They aren't the best, but I'm trying to fill my daily quota. It's a lot. The other thing she wanted me to do was drink a ton of water. You're supposed to take your body weight, divide by 2, then drink that many ounces of water per day! There is NO way I can drink that much water. Whatever happened to the 6-8 glasses per day rule of thumb? Maybe when I get to a more reasonable weight 6-8 glasses of water will be half of my body weight in ounces or whatever.

Today I have my pre-op appointment. I still feel a little weird going to a doctor I barely know. My friend had some insight for me- she went into labor at the wrong time apparently because the doctor that delivered her baby was the one on-call, n0t her normal one, and she had never met that doctor before. I suppose what I'm doing isn't nearly as dramatic as childbirth, plus I'm meeting him twice before the surgery so I need to not complain.

Well my stomach is grumbling, it's time for breakfast! I am looking forward to a light cheese stick, my delicious southwestern flavored egg beaters, and some whole wheat toast with no sugar added jelly. And possibly some coffee.

Today I am thankful that everything always comes together. A friend reminded me of God's provision today, and I have seen it so many times in the last few years. I am trusting that He will provide like he always does- because this medical stuff is costing me and arm and a leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment