Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Protein cravings

Last night me and two girlfriends made dinner and watched Eat Pray Love. Well, they watched the movie, I fell asleep about 10 minutes in. I made that dijon roasted potato recipe and then we got a rotisserie chicken and a few of those refrigerated biscuits. The chicken was so good! I think between the three of us, we consumed 75% of the whole chicken. Because of last night's amazing chicken, I was craving it again today. I'm pretty broke, but since payday is tomorrow I figured it was okay to spend my last cash on another chicken. I don't think I've been getting enough protein lately, because I'm craving it a lot. Since I don't have a lot of food to choose from in my pantry, I've been eating the same thing for a few days- potatoes that my friend's church gave me. I just boiled them and added salt, and they are good. Now I have enough protein for several meals.

This has been one of the most active weeks in a while, and it's only Wednesday! Yesterday before the movie, I was at my friend's house, and she and her housemate wanted to do the Walk Away The Pounds dvd that lasts a half hour. That is actually somewhat challenging, especially towards the end when you get tired. Earlier in the day, I went to the gym and did intense cardio on the eliptical, then abdominal work and used the weight machines for the leg muscles. I got nearly 2 hours of exercise yesterday. No wonder I fell asleep during the movie, I was spent! Tomorrow I have plans to go work out with a friend before we make some dinner. I like having friends that want to work out together, it makes it more fun.

Oh I should probably put in here that I ate way too much on New Year's Eve, and had a few drinks, but I still lost one pound for the week, making my total weight loss 39 lbs. This week looks better with all the activity I'm doing plus I haven't used any weekly splurge points yet. I think this is more of a mental thing, but I've been feeling fat. I definitely think it's a state of mind though, because sometimes I walk by the mirror and I catch my leaner reflection and am astonished. By the way, my grandma said the funniest thing- "You look great. People notice your boobs more than your belly now." I love her. I owe that one to my amazing Lane Bryant bra though, I can't take the credit.

I've been having a tough time with not working enough, so I'm still looking for a full time job. I applied today for a human resources assistant at the company I currently work for. It doesn't pay as much per hour as my counselor job, but it would be steady work with benefits, and it would be M-F 8:30-5, so I could have a normal social life. Hard to imagine. I would still like to be hired by the county as the hospital liaison/resource coordinator for patients coming back from Eastern State Hospital. I hear that I won't know one way or another for at least a month.

I have another rant to get out of my system, but I fear doing so on this blog could possibly cause problems, so I'll say this: Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for one day I may have to eat them. I will tell a short side story though. I went to water aerobics this morning and it's not very challenging until the last 20 minutes of class, so my mind was ruminating over everything going on, and I was trying to hard to change my attitude, then pretty much rolling my eyes at myself! I realized that even if I'm not in a good mood, my facial expression probably said "Back off, I'm in a bad mood.", so I was putting forth the effort to at least look pleasant. By the end of class I needed to use my brain more because it required coordination and balance, not my two strong points, so my mood improved a little. Coffee with a friend and small group this evening was really great at lifting my spirits again.

Tonight my plan was to stay up as late as possible in order to get used to being awake late for night shift, but I doubt I'll make it past 11:15. Tomorrow I'll just have to take a long nap before I work out with my friend. I'm very grateful for the two night shifts this week- a co-worker heard I was really broke and offered me her two shifts. That was really nice.

I think for the next blog, I'll post a picture or two of me looking good in my new clothes.

1 comment:

  1. For protein try tofu. Its cheaper and you can make it into basically any flavor you want.

    Here is a cool little thing I found-

    Water packed tofu 14 -16 oz.: $1.89 - 2.39 per pound
    Silken tofu 12.3 oz aseptic box: $1.49 - 1.89
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: $3.59 - $4.59 per pound
    Beef & Pork (depending on cut): $1.99 - 6.99 per pound
    Salmon and cod: $3.99 - $6.99 per pound

    Benefits:

    1. Tofu is tasteless alone so it adapts to any dish and takes on that unique flavor.

    2. Considerably less expensive than most meat, poultry and fish items.

    3. A terrific source of protein and contains isoflavones.

    4. A lot less fat, saturated fat and no cholesterol at all compared to meat, poultry and fish..

    5. Versatile! Not only can tofu be used as an entree, but it also works well blenderized up for dips and salad dressings. Even used in desserts

    ReplyDelete